Travelling by motorcycle or scooter can be enjoyable however it's important to research ways to protect yourself as a rider (and any pillions) before you ride. Information about protecting your body, riding safely and your responsibilities when carrying pillion passengers can be found on the VicRoads Motorcycle Safety and Spokes websites.
Important Motorbike Safety Features
- Safety Technology:
- Motorcycles with Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) technology have the potential to significantly reduce serious motorcycle crashes, particularly at intersections. During an emergency braking situation the wheels can lock up, causing the motorcycle to skid or slide out from under you.
- A bike with ABS has electronic sensors to detect lock-up before it occurs, applying just the right amount of pressure to maximise braking performance. ABS offers significant safety benefits to riders and can reduce braking distance and increase stability. VicRoadsSafeBikes.CarSalesNetwork.com.au
- Riding Safely:
- Whether you're just starting out, getting back into riding or thinking of buying a new motorcycle, make sure Spokes is the first place you head for riding resources. You can also find out about the graduated licensing system we've introduced to keep novice riders safe.
- Protective Clothing:
- Wearing the right clothing while riding is just as important, with a recent study showing that motorcyclists were 21% less likely to be admitted to hospital if they crashed while wearing motorcycle jackets.
- The risk reduced even further when wearing motorcycle pants or gloves.
Even if you don't ride yourself, it's important for all road users to understand the risks motorcyclists face by putting yourself in their shoes.