Making rural roads safer
By 2020 we will transform some of Victoria’s riskiest roads into our safest roads. We will invest $340 million on world class safety improvements to more than 2,500 kilometres of rural and regional roads across the state.
People driving on country roads are four times as likely to be killed than those in metropolitan areas. Nearly half of all road deaths in Victoria happen on 100 and 110km/h roads. Almost a quarter of serious injuries occur on high speed rural roads, mainly due to drivers running off the road or hitting other vehicles head-on.
How we are making rural roads safer
- 20 of the State’s most high risk sections of road will be improved
- 330kms of flexible barrier will be installed on high risk, high volume 100km/hour roads. Flexible barriers have been shown to reduce run-off road and head-on crashes by 85%.
- Extra safety features on flexible barriers for motorcyclists on popular riding routes such as padded posts and under-run protection.
- Rumble strips will be installed on stretches of high risk, high volume 100km/hour roads
- Working with local communities on safer travel speeds on narrow, lower quality, high speed roads
- Continue safety camera operations and investigate new and more effective camera technologies to maximise safety
Melba Highway safety barrier saves three lives
Three people's lives were saved when a recently installed safety barrier near Yea stopped a head-on crash between two cars. The barrier stopped the two cars colliding after one of the drivers fell asleep at the wheel.
Read more in the media release on the Transport Accident Commission website.
State roads to be tackled
|Princes Hwy West||Little River to Corio|
|Geelong Ring Road||Corio to Waurn Ponds|
|Bass Hwy||Lang Lang to San Remo|
|Princes Fwy East||Traralgon to Sale|
|Princes Fwy East||Longwarry to Traralgon|
|Mornington Peninsula Fwy||Mount Martha to Rosebud|
|Calder Fwy||M80 Ring Rd/Keilor Park to Bendigo|
|Hume Fwy/Hwy||M80 Ring Rd/Thomastown to Wodonga|
|Western Fwy||M80 Ring Rd/Sunshine West to Ballarat|
|Goulburn Valley Hwy||Yea to Molesworth|
|Midland Hwy||Ballarat to Creswick|
|Anglesea/Great Ocean Rd||Bellbrae to Anglesea|
|Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Rd||Geelong to Bacchus Marsh|
|Beechworth-Wodonga Rd||Beeachworth to Yackandandah Rd|
|Melbourne-Lancefield Rd||Sunbury to Lancefield|
|South Gippsland Hwy||Leongatha to Meeniyan|
|Midland Hwy||Shepparton to Stanhope|
|Paynesville Rd||Bairnsdale to Paynesville|
|Maffra-Sale Rd||Sale to Maffra|
|Princes Hwy East||Sale to Bairnsdale|